Joseph K. Githuku – Baltimore Car Accident Lawyer
As a baltimore car accident lawyer, I am here to help you recover from the accident by seeking the financial compensation you deserve.
Ten Things to Do After An Accident
Do you know what to do after you have been in accident? Knowing what steps to take may help you keep you safe on the road and protect your rights, especially if the accident was not your fault. Although this is not a comprehensive list, it is a good starting point whenever your life is interrupted by a car accident.
- Turn on your vehicle’s hazard lights and use cones, warning triangles, or flares for safety.
- Call the police, even if the accident is minor.
- If possible, don’t leave the accident scene before the police and other drivers do. Obviously, if you are injured and need medical attention, then you need to go the emergency room.
- Obtain the other driver’s information – name, address, date of birth, phone number, driver’s license number, and the license plate number of their car. Do not forget their insurance company, and their insurance policy number.
- Obtain witness information – If someone saw what happened, see if they will give you their contact information. If fault is in dispute, witnesses are vital.
- Take photographs – People take pictures of everything in this age of the smart phone. Whip yours out and document the entire scene.
- Write it Down – If you think it is important, write it down before you forget.
- Get your police report – Demand copies of everything the officer prepares in connection with your accident. .
- Do as your doctor says. Follow the treatment plan suggested and keep appointments.
- Disability note if you are going to miss work– You do not want the adjuster making a low ball offer in your claim because you did not bother to get a note.
Taking these actions as soon as possible will help you retain important evidence that will help your case immensely.
Five Things NOT to Do After a Car Accident
There are a few things you should avoid doing to protect yourself legally after an accident:
- Let the other driver leave the scene of the accident before taking down his or her information
- Discuss the accident with the insurance company of the other driver before you talk to your lawyer.
- Sign anything you do not understand and before you talk to you lawyer. Review everything including the police report for accuracy.
- Accept a settlement offered too soon after the accident or before you talk to your lawyer.
Do you need to talk with a Baltimore car accident lawyer today? Call me (410) 849- 9529.